Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Baked Coconut Cake - Matcha Flavoured ( Kuih Bingka Gandum)

I baked this malay kuih on Sunday evening before I prepared dinner. This is a very easy cake which requires only a few ingredients and simple baking steps.  The original recipe uses Panda juice to create the green color but I can not get panda leaves from the supermarket yesterday. So I used match tea powder instead. It is dense, not too sweet, and with nice coconut milk taste, the presence of matcha is not so obvious though. Probably overwhelmed by the nice and strong fragrance from the coconut milk.

It's supposed to be much taller than what you see here in the picture, the typical nonya/malay kuih's height. However, as I used a slightly bigger baking tray, my kuih actually looked more like a green brownie or bar than kuih. :) LOL. Nonetheless, my daughters and I still like it. My younger girl asked for 2 pieces to be packed for her to bring to school for her recess. Whenever my younger daughter request for "take-away",  I know it much be good, at least to my little angel  :) 





Matcha Flavoured Kuih Bingka Gandum
Adapted from Cherry On A Cake's Pandan Flavoured Kiuh Bingka Gandum with variation

Ingredients:
  • 4 Eggs
  • 1/2 cups Castor sugar
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 2 tsps matcha powder (mixed with 50ml warm water)
  • 400 ml coconut milk
Methods:
  1. Beat eggs and sugar until fluffy and light.
  2. Add in sifted flour and mix to combine.
  3. Mix coconut milk with green tea mixture, add in to the flour mixture. Mix to combine well.
  4. Pour into a 9X6 inch rectangular baking tray lined with baking paper.
  5. Baked at 170 degree C for 30-40 minutes until the top is firm to touch and golden brown.
  6. Remove from oven, un-mould from baking tray and leave to cool before cutting.
I am submitting this kuih kuih for Oct 2011's Aspiring Bakers - Make Traditional Kuih.

No comments:

Post a Comment