Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Huat Kuih (Pinky Little Steamed Cakes)

I made these cute little pink cakes to satisfy my younger girl's craving for Huat Kuih, her favourite. I am very happy with the results - all the little cakes were smiling at me when I lifted up the lid of the steamer. They made me smile too :)

 
 

 
 
Steamed Huat Kuih (蒸发糕)

Ingredients
(Yield 7 muffin-sized little pink cakes)
  • 80g Fine Rice Flour (粘米粉)
  • 320g Cake Flour
  • 8g Baking Powder
  • 210g caster sugar
  • 320g water
  • 2 tiny drops of pink coloring
 
Methods
  1. Combine the sugar and water together, stir till sugar melted.
  2. Sieve the flours and baking powder together. Add the liquid and coloring into the dry ingredients. Stir till well combined.
  3. Spoon the mixture into muffin cups, till 80% full.
  4. Place the cake in steamer and steam over high heat for 12 minutes.
  5. Off the fire and let the cakes stay in the steamer for another 8 minutes.

 

 
I am submitting this kuih kuih for Oct 2011's Aspiring Bakers - Make Traditional Kuih.
This pink little cakes are also in support of the Breast Cancer Awareness Month - The Power of Pink Challenge started by Beantownbaker,

3 comments:

  1. pretty cakes, pretty colors, looks so yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Is the baking powder sufficient to make the cakes rise? Because I saw the same recipe as yours on another person's blog except that she used FOUR tsps of double acting baking powder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gummy Popcorn, 8g of baking powder is enough for my recipe to yield the nicely rised cakes as showed in my photos. ;)

    ReplyDelete